Sheffield is a city of 540,000 or so people, in Yorkshire, in more or less central UK.
The city grew from industrial origins, with a considerable steel industry, and has now diversified into many new industries; from service to high technology.
At the same time the city has retained its character, with historical buildings, museums and parkland scattered in and around various city areas.
The city is well connected with very good road and rail links, and several airports within a drive of approximately 1 hour. Two hours gets you to London on the train, an hour up to York, three hours or so up to Edinburgh in Scotland
- East Midlands airport ~ 45 minutes
- Doncaster-Sheffield Robin Hood airport ~ 45 minutes
- Manchester airport ~ 1 hour 30 minutes
Sheffield has a wide variety of sports - hockey, football, rugby, athletics . . . and many more
Read more: our sports page
Sheffield has the facilties you would expect of any modern, major city, including :-
- several shopping malls, with excellent shops
- plenty of good quality restaurants with the food of many nations represented
- plenty of good coffee shops
- plenty of live music venues, including major acts appearing at the Hallam FM arena
- Two Universities, totalling about 45,000 student places. We have very strong links with Sheffield University, and they offer us free and low cost courses
- Plenty of sports - Read more: our sports page
- Several cinema complexes
- Theatres - Sheffield has the largest theatre complex outside of London - Read more : Sheffield theatres page
- Casinos - Sheffield has 3 casinos, all with excellent restaurants. Membership is usually necessary before entry, although you can join on your first visit
- Read more : entertainment page